Quality Policy Statement
We at NFLD, are fully committed to the provision of an independent and accurate fish and aquaculture/fishery product testing services to our customers, thereby maintaining and promoting the image of the Philippines as a provider of safe, quality and globally competitive fish and aquaculture/fishery products in the world market.
In providing quality testing services, we will:
l Provide accurate and timely testing service to customers through the issuance of valid and reliable test results as a basis for local and export markets;
l Maintain a level of expertise among the staff such as to ensure that the laboratory continues to meet the criteria of National and international standards such as ISO/IEC 17025:2005;
l Strictly adhere to good professional practice;
l Protect our customers’ confidential information and property rights; and
l Continuously initiate improvement in our testing work.
(SGD) EDUARDO B. GONGONA
Undersecretary for Fisheries, DA/Director, BFAR
Functions of NFLD
- Develop plans and programs on the operation of the fisheries laboratories and its compliance with PNS ISO/IEC 17025 laboratory standard.
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the operation of the regional laboratories
- Develop and implement plans and programs on the control of residue and manage aquatic animal health and promote the safety of fish and fishery products.
- Provide laboratory services to the regulatory services of BFAR.
- Provide updates on the national status of the country in terms of: a) usage of chemicals and drugs, b) level of marine biotoxin of bivalve mollusk in harvest area and c) the presence and absence of significant diseases.
- Provide technical support to the regional laboratory and harmonize methods and procedures.
Functions of NFLD’s Sections
Fish Health Laboratory (FHL)
- Provides laboratory services for the detection of aquatic animal and seaweed diseases.
- Strengthens the capability of BFAR for aquatic animal disease and residue surveillance, monitoring, and reporting.
- Harmonizes the test methods of Quality Assurance for aquatic animal diagnostics and residue analyses in BFAR laboratories
- Implements the National Residue Monitoring and Surveillance as well as the aquaculture farm registration based on the Philippine Good Aquaculture Practice (GAqP).
- Implements national aquatic animal disease surveillance, monitoring, and reporting system
- Implements the National Action Plan (NAP) to combat antimicrobial misuse and resistance in aquaculture
- Implements the quality management system according to ISO/IEC 17025 and harmonizes with the regional fisheries laboratories
Aquatic Toxicology Laboratory (ATL)
- Conducts analysis for marine toxins (paralytic shellfish toxins,domoic acid, okadaic acid, dinophysis toxins, ciguatoxins, brevetoxins and tetrodotoxin) and formaldehyde in support to food safety measures implemented by BFAR.
- Conducts analysis of obnoxious substances such as cyanide in fish and fishery products in support to regulatory and enforcement functions of BFAR in the protection of marine ecosystem and other fishery resources.
- Provides technical assistance to BFAR Regional Offices, Local Government Units and other related government agencies.
- Provides analytical services for fishery industries in support to trade requirements
Fisheries Product Testing Laboratory (FPTL)
- Ensures and facilitates the Implementing Rules and Regulation(IRR) of the Food Safety Act of 2013 thru chemical and microbiological analyses of fish and fishery products
- Sustains the accreditation of FPTL to PNS/ISO/IEC 17025 thru the harmonized Quality Management System of the National Fisheries Laboratory Division.
- Implements assessment/ audit program on the operation of Regional Fisheries Laboratories (RFL)
- Provides training and technical services on the operation/ management of quality laboratory practices.