Three years after liberation from the enemy’s occupation, the Congress of the Philippines, cognizant of the importance of fisheries and aquatic resources conservation to the rehabilitation of the country’s prostrate economy brought about by the war, enacted Republic Act No. 177 creating the Bureau of Fisheries which took effect on 1 July 1947. The former Division of Fisheries and its sections, field districts, and experimental stations including all fishery-related activities of national government agencies were integrated in the Bureau of Fisheries.
When it was founded in 1947, the Bureau of Fisheries had seven functional divisions, namely, (1) Administrative Division; (2) Division of Fish Culture and Fisheries Biology; (3) Division of Commercial Fisheries; (4) Division of Fisheries Technology; (5) Division of Licenses and Regulations; (6) Division of Investigation and Inspection; and (7) Philippine Institute of Fisheries Technology offering a 2 ½ college course in fisheries. Subsequently, branches of this institute offering a 4-year secondary course in fisheries were established in Samar, Cebu, Albay, Iloilo, Zamboanga City, Antique and Batangas.
Following the same organization effort, the entire Philippines was divided into ten fishery districts, each with a District Fishery Officer as head. The headquarters of the ten (10) fishery districts were located in strategic places in the different fishing regions: Fishery District No. 1-Aparri, Cagayan; 2-Dagupan City; 3-Manila; 4-Naga City; 5-Catbalogan, Samar; 6-Iloilo City; 7-Coron, Palawan; 8-Cebu City; 9-Davao City; and 10-Zamboanga City.
The establishment of the Bureau of Fisheries on 1 July 1947 has been considered as the official foundation day of the organization which is being celebrated every year up to this day.